Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Low Carb Barbecue Sauce

I love barbecue.
Ribs, chicken, pork, beef...I may have been born on the east coast and raised on the west coast, but I must have a little southern in me somewhere, because I love/crave southern food.
But barbecue sauce has a lot of sugar and a lot of carbs.
I looked at the nutritional facts on my favorite barbecue sauce and it was 15g of carbs for 2 tablespoons. That's better then some, but still too high for the amount you're getting. I tried a barbecue sauce in a diabetic cookbook, and although the sauce was good and my kids ate it, it didn't even taste like real barbecue sauce. So I took matters into my own hands.
 I like my barbecue sauce savory, a little sweet, and a little spicy. And that is just how this sauce turned out. Perfect for barbecue chicken, ribs, ANY kind of meat, or for baked beans. And there's less then half the amount of carbs per serving.
 I made a double batch and poured it into a mason jar to store in my fridge.
Low Carb Barbecue Sauce: (LOW CARB/LOW FAT)
makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce

1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
2 TBL Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chipotle chile pepper (adjust to your heat level desires)
fresh ground pepper and kosher salt to taste

Add all ingredients into a medium sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently.
Baste meat, use in a recipe or store in the refrigerator for later.

For 2 tablespoons: 36 calories, 0g fat, 7g carbs, 0g protein

Go barbecue something...

1 comment:

  1. Hello! thank you for sharing thus fabolous recipe with us. Is this sauce crockpot friendly?

    ReplyDelete